Here is a list of 6 clean ingredient sunscreens for 2021 and while it is easier to focus on what we put in our bodies for nutrients, it is also important to know what you are putting on your body.
Your skin is the largest organ of your body and absorbs what you put on it, including toxins & chemicals which go directly into your bloodstream. These toxic chemicals are even found in babies umbilical cords proving that they were in their bodies before they were even born.
Harmful Ingredients In Sunscreen
- Phthalates: found in fragrance and parfum, which can alter your hormones, sperm count, & sperm quality.
- Oxybenzone: found in your blood & breastmilk. FDA study found blood levels 438 times above cutoff for systemic exposure, alters your hormones, newborns birth weight, & has high rates of skin allergy.
- Octinoxate: found in your blood & breastmilk. FDA study found blood levels 13 times above cutoff for systemic exposure, alters your hormones, & thyroid.
- Homosalate: found in your blood & breastmilk. FDA study found blood levels 37 times above cutoff for systemic exposure, and alters your hormones, & toxic breakdown.
- Octisalate: found in your blood. FDA study showed blood levels 10 times above cutoff for systemic exposure.
- Octocrylene: found in your blood & breastmilk. FDA study blood levels 14 times above cutoff for systemic exposure and has a high rate of skin allergy.
Clean Ingredients In Sunscreen
- Titanium Dioxide has no evidence of skin penetration and has no evidence of hormone disruption.
- Zinc Oxide penetrates the skin less than 0.01% and has no evidence of hormone disruption.
Chemicals From Sunscreen Measured In Blood, Urine, & Breastmilk
For me this was so disturbing but it makes complete sense. Even if you aren’t putting harmful chemicals on your baby they could be ingesting them right through your breastmilk. This fact alone has made me make a commitment to myself to be fully aware of the ingredients in my skincare.
Be Smarter Than Marketing
Just because a product says “baby” on it doesn’t mean the ingredients are clean and non-toxic. It’s sad that marketing tries to sell products even when they are harmful to newborns and children, but that is why it is up to you to be smarter than them and check the ingredients!
It doesn’t matter what brand or reputation a certain company has, you need to physically check every single products ingredients. One product from a certain brand could have clean ingredients and a different product from that same brand could include harmful ingredients. I have made that mistake in the past and discovered it after months of using it.
Sources For Ingredients In Sunscreen
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
List of 6 Clean Ingredient Sunscreens For 2021
These aren’t in any particular order or the only sunscreens that have clean ingredients. These are just 6 clean ingredient sunscreens that I have either used in the past and loved or am going to be trying this year on myself or my kids. The product I 100% recommend is Badger because it has the least amount of ingredients I have been able to find in a sunscreen and it’s made right here in NH.
Badger Land & Sea Sunscreen SPF 40, reef friendly!
Unscented Badger Clear Zinc Oxide SPF 30, reef friendly!
All Good Sunscreen Stick SPF 50, reef friendly!
Think Baby SPF 50, Dermatologist Recommended
Sun Bum Baby SPF 50, Fragrance Free
Source To Check Sunscreen Ratings
Thank you for reading & if you try any of these sunscreens, let me know on Instagram! @our1sthomestead
You Can Find More Blog Posts Here
Until next time,