You can never go wrong with homemade strawberry shortcake and adding in sourdough gives you a depth of flavor that will not dissapoint. Shortcake is perfect for any season but in heart of Valentines Day, pun intended, this would be the perfect festive dessert. It is so simple and fast to make, and the whipped cream cheese topping is to die for!
This blog post is part of a Valentine’s Day Recipes series hosted by my friend Emma at Loving Grace Home. Be sure to read all the way to the end of this recipe to get some more delicious Valentine’s Day treats from my blogging friends!
Last summer I made strawberry shortcake from scratch for the first time and brought it to a pool party. It was a hit and everyone got seconds! I can’t believe how simple shortcake is to make and it will be my dessert of choice from now on. It is a very forgiving recipe and perfect for beginners.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Some tools you may need:
Ingredients for Homemade Sourdough Strawberry Shortcake:
1/2 cup room temperature butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup fed sourdough starter
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour ( you can try a different type of flour but the texture might change)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
4 oz. room temperature cream cheese
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Step By Step Of How To Make Sourdough Strawberry Shortcake:
Feed your starter 8-12 hrs before using it.
Cream together the butter & sugar.
Add one egg at a time and mix after each egg.
Add sourdough starter & vanilla and mix until combined.
In a serperate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, & salt.
Using a spoon, slowly mix in dry ingredients to wet. It will be a doughlike consistency.
Press into a 9×13 greased glass baking dish & bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
If it is sticking to your hands you can coat them in flour if needed.
Set aside to cool while you are making the whipped cream cheese topping.
In a large bowl, whip together heavy whipping cream and maple syrup until peaks form. You will know it’s ready when you turn off the mixer and lift the whisks out of the bowl and little mountain tops stand up on their own.
In another bowl, whip up the softened cream cheese so it is easier for the whipped cream to combine with it. You don’t want to skip this step because if you do the block of cream cheese could deflate the whipped cream.
Add cream cheese to whipped cream and mix until combined.
Cut up the sourdough shortcake into 15 servings. Put a slice on a plate, top with whipped cream cheese topping & strawberries and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sourdough starter
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Whipped Cream cheese topping:
- 4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 8-12 hrs before making this recipe, feed your sourdough starter.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add 1 egg at a time, mix after each egg.
- Mix in vanilla & sourdough starter.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, & salt.
- Using a spoon, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. (will be a dough like consistency)
- Press into a greased 9x13 baking dish
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let stand while you make the whipped cream cheese topping.
- In a large sized bowl, using a hand mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream and maple syrup together until peaks form.
- In a small bowl, whip up the cream cheese before adding it to the whipped cream. (you could deflate the whipped cream if you skip this step) Mix until combined.
- Cut up the shortcake, add the whipped cream cheese topping, add strawberries & enjoy!
- (You can cover the shortcake with foil and store it on the counter. Store the cream cheese topping and strawberries in seperate containers in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 7g
Pin It For Later
Now, for more Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes from My Friends!
Emma | Loving Grace Home, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Sourdough Scones
Liz | Insight Mother, Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Michelle | Barefoot in the Pines, Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
Ashly | Imperfect Ashly, 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
Heather | Our American Japanese Life, Raspberry Mousse
Ranie | Ranie Robinson, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Deepti | Indian Kitchen & Spices, Sugar-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
Until next time,